Sunday, August 12, 2012

Canteen

Located in the City's busiest street, Canteen Jakarta is one of the famous cool down place to go to. Canten has a restaurant + bar concept, and you can find most of your favorite western and Indonesian dishes. They also create special dishes on special events, like now in the holy month where they create lamb gulai dish.

I visited Canteen last Friday and they offer me a ramadhan special promotion :


so I ordered classic caesar salad and pan fried dori fillet with iced tea, while Eda ordered onion soup and pesto spaghetti. Our other companion, Otin, ordered spaghetti aglio olio, and Maico who came for a smoke decides on a cup of hot chocolate.


they add some mint leaves and basil seeds in your drink. I have to admit it compliments my iced tea as basil seeds fells funny as you bite them.


my classic caesar salad. crisp romaine lettuce, croutons, crispy beef bacons, half an egg, and grilled chicken. it is absolutely delicious and a lot! I literally have to take few minutes of break before I dig in my dori fish.I love how they use real caesar dressing, because I once ordered caesar salad where they use thick mayo as dressing. I never came back to that cafe, but canteen's caesar salad? I'm in love.


Eda's appetizer, onion soup with a slice of baguette and camembert. I'm actually never a fan of onion soup as they tend to be sweet, and I don't dig sweet but supposedly savory dish, but this soup is different. although its still a bit sweet, it is also savory and kind of pepper-y, especially when you bite the baguette after each spoonful of soup. I don't eat soggy bread, and this way of eating soup works for me.


Maico's hot chocolate. Bet he recognized my quirks by now as he repeatedly said "panda, panda! take a picture!". I now recognize his as I saw that is a monkey. But maybe its a hippo. I don't know. Hahaha.. So they serve the hot chocolate in a small glass cup with a small brownie cube. I didn't taste the chocolate nor the brownie, but judging by how Maico gulped it fast, I bet its delicious and rich in chocolate taste, but not too milky.



Otin's Aglio Olio. I never not loved Aglio Olios. I am in a deep affair with Aglio Olios. Canteen's Aglio Olios differs than any other that I have ever tasted as they toss bacon pieces, cheese grates, and some lettuce in it. Everything compliments the pasta. Simply the best Aglio Olio ever!


My pan fried dori fish, served with potato tartelle and tomato puree. They didn't mention a splash of pesto in the menu, but I'm glad they toss it in there. The only disappointment was that because it was a bit crowded, they served my fish before I finished my salad, and it gets cold when I took my first bite. I asked the waitress to reheat it, but they can't. maybe they didn't provide big enough microwaves to fit the plate, or afraid that it'll taste funny after reheat, but who likes cold fish? I didn't finish the fish nor the potato, but I did finish my broccoli, the only thing on that plate that still taste good cold.

Canteen gets crowded on weekends and you may need prior reservations to get a table.



Canteen
Plaza Indonesia Extension,
5th floor, #E02, E10
Jl. M.H Thamrin, Kav 28-30,
For Reservations : +62-21 315 6537
Central Jakarta, Jakarta


Travel options :

By TransJakarta Busway : Get off at Bundaran HI shelter, the mall entrance is on the left side of the exit. (costs IDR 3.500 for the TransJakarta)

By Taxi : Blue Bird taxis are available outside the mall. (cost depends on what taxi you're taking and where you're staying)

By Train : Get off at Sudirman or Cikini Station, then take taxi to the mall. (costs IDR 6.000 for the train, and around IDR 10.000 to 20.000 for the taxi ride)



J.




No comments:

Post a Comment